Dental Implant Post-Op Instructions
THINGS TO DO:
- Bite with firm pressure on the gauze for 20 minutes.
- Ice packs may be used to reduce any swelling, after the implant and for the next 24 hours. Keep the ice packs on for 20 minutes at a time. Be sure to keep a cloth between the ice and your skin.
- If bleeding starts again, put gauze, a wad of cotton, or a clean white cloth over the area. Bite on the gauze with firm, steady pressure for 30 minutes. Do not chew on gauze.
- For the first 24 hours, brush your remaining teeth 3 times daily. Don’t rinse your mouth or use mouthwash unless directed otherwise.
- If you have pain, take pain pills as directed on the package or bottle. Take any other medication as directed.
- Drink lots of fluids and eat anything you can swallow; except for foods such as nuts, potato chips, spicy foods, etc…
THINGS NOT TO DO:
- DO NOT SMOKE!
- DO NOT drink with a straw for 24 hours.
- DO NOT spit. Spitting will cause more bleeding. Lots of saliva and a little blood may look like a lot of bleeding.
- DO NOT drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- Black and blue marks are bruises. Do not worry if this occurs.
- It is advised that you return home and rest after your implant.
- If the pain increases after the first 72 hours, or if abnormal bleeding continues, call.
- Call the office to report any condition that appears unusual.
If you have any questions regarding your dental implants or post-op instructions, contact your doctor at: (614)476-6696